Due to being MIA (on vacation) for more than a week, I still owe you a Vegan Week wrap up. If you missed it, you can catch up here, here, here, and here. Here’s how it went …
* Seven days — No milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese or anything containing animal bi-products, which includes a surprising number of items in my pantry.
* Challenges — It was tough to think about the ingredients of everything I put in my mouth, and I occasionally slipped up. It wasn’t easy to eat the same meals as my omnivore Husband. I had issues eating out in a restaurant, too.
* Successes — I became pro at reading nutrition information labels and have continued to do so since finishing vegan week. I was still able to use coupons for some of my vegan staples, like soy milk.
* Total weight loss — 4 lbs.! This was totally unexpected. Admittedly though, I did feel less full/bloaty when I was eating vegan foods.
* Verdict — I’m very glad I tried this. It has really changed the way I think about food … not in the know-where-your-food-comes-from kind of way, but rather about what is in my food. For me, eating vegan meant eating more fresh foods and forced me to up my fruit and veggie intake, which I’ve been wanting to do anyway. I’m not a complete convert, but it did make me feel really good, so I’m going to attempt to eat vegan a few days each week.